Boat Explosion

Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office
Patrol Operations Bureau
- Patrol Unit
- Marine Unit

Largo Fire Department

David Weil (Owner)
DOB: 02/07/1969
Vessel: 2005 Four Winds 25 foot Deck Boat I/O

Hope Weil (Passenger)
DOB: 02/22/1998
Vessel: 2005 Four Winds 25 foot Deck Boat I/O

Gail Weil (Passenger)
DOB: 09/17/1970
Vessel: 2005 Four Winds 25 foot Deck Boat I/O

Ryan McMahon (Passenger)
DOB: 08/07/1997
Vessel: 2005 Four Winds 25 foot Deck Boat I/O

Deputies assigned to the Marine Unit investigate a boat that exploded at the Indian Springs Marina in unincorporated Largo.

The incident occurred at about 3:55 p.m. on Sunday, December 1, 2019.

The incident occurred at the Indian Springs Marina located at 15151 113th Avenue North in unincorporated Largo. 

According to deputies, at about 3:55 p.m. on Sunday, December 1, 2019, a 2005 Four Winds 25 foot deck boat with an inboard engine had just filled up with fuel at the Indian Springs Marina. During the process, some fuel had overflowed and spilled.

The owner of the boat, 50-year-old David Weil, told deputies after cleaning up he attempted to start the boat. David Weil said he attempted to crank the boat several times before it suddenly exploded. David Weil said the blast threw him from the boat onto the dock.

David Weil’s daughter, 21-year-old Hope Weil, was standing near the bow when the explosion occurred. The force of the blast caused her to fall into the water. When David Weil realized his daughter was thrown in the water, he immediately dove in and rescued her. She had some minor injuries to her legs and was transported to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg as a precaution. Although David Weil was thrown onto the dock, he was fortunately uninjured.

When the explosion occurred, David Weil’s wife, 49-year-old Gail Weil was standing nearby on the seawall and a family friend, 25-year-old Ryan McMahon was on the dock at the rear of the boat. Both were knocked down as a result of the blast, but neither received any injuries.

The explosion caused the fiberglass boat to catch fire. Indian Spring Marina staff attempted to put out the fire using multiple fire extinguishers. However, the blaze was too intense and the fire resulted in the boat partially sinking at the dock.

Largo Fire Rescue responded and were able to extinguish the fire. Deputies say approximately 100 gallons of fuel spilled into the Intercostal Waterway as a result of the fire. Afterwards, marina personnel were able to remove the boat from the water and bring it on shore to avoid any further hazards.

The cause of the fire does not appear to be suspicious.

The investigation continues.

Posted by Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:26:00 PM Categories: Marine Unit and Flight Unit

Non Emergency Line: (727) 582-6200 | In an Emergency call 911ADA info