Whether you are a first time gun owner, or long time hunting and shooting enthusiast,
the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office believes firearms knowledge and safety is paramount to preventing accidents and injuries.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is offering a free firearms carry concealed weapons (CCW) competency class.
This safety course is open to Pinellas County residents who are eligible and do not currently hold a CCW license through the Florida Department of Agriculture Consumer Services (FDACS).
What Does The Class Cover?
How Do I Participate?
- Basic firearms function and safety covering handguns, rifles and shotguns.
- Overview of state laws regarding ownership and use of firearms including the use of a concealed firearm for self-defense.
- Ability to earn a Certificate of Completion necessary for obtaining your CCW license.
- Carry Concealed Weapons licenses are issued through the FL Department of Agriculture (FDACS).
Successful completion of this course will ONLY provide you a Certificate of Completion
to include with your CCW application to the FDACS.
- Obtaining your Certificate of Completion requires successful
completion of a 36 round competency course with our instructors.
- Visit the FDACS website to see if you are eligible for the course:
- Space is limited – submit your application online today!
- Contact a training coordinator Allen Yount at 727-453-7974 or
Teresa Hughes at 727-453-7971 with any additional questions.
- Be prepared to bring your functioning handgun AND 50 rounds of new
manufactured ammunition. (No
reloaded or steel / aluminum cased ammunition will be permitted)
- If you do NOT have a handgun, but wish to attend using PCSO handguns, you
must bring 50 rounds of new manufactured .45 ACP or .38 Special pistol
- PCSO provided handguns are limited to first request; please specify if you
would like to use a .45 ACP caliber semiautomatic handgun or a .38 Special
- Wear pants or slacks, full size shirt, baseball style hat and closed toe shoes.
- No shorts, tank tops or red shirts will be allowed.
- Eye and hearing protection will be provided; you may bring your
own if you like.
- MUST have STATE ISSUED PHOTO ID or DRIVERS LICENSE the DAY OF
you may only sign up for
one Firearms Safety / CCW class per year.