Street Gang Monitoring – Intelligence Unit
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office Intelligence Unit has been working effectively to manage gang activity in Pinellas County.
What is a gang?
A gang is a group of people who want to be seen as different from others and want others to perceive them as a distinct group. This group is organized, has leadership, and is committing criminal acts in the community.
Gangs establish their reputation by the types and severity of the crimes they commit. the more heinous the crime the more “juice” or reputation the gang gets. In the street gang world, the more “juice” you have the more respect you get!
Florida Statutes 874.03 says a criminal street gang is a formal or informal ongoing organization, association, or group of three or more persons who have:
A common name or common identifying signs, colors, or symbols.
Members or associates who, individually or collectedly, engage in or have engaged in a pattern of youth and street gang activity such as fighting, vandalism, murder, and drug sales.
- How Parents can Recognize and Prevent Gang Involvement – This quick reference guide provides common warning signs of gang involvement.
- Florida Department of Corrections – The result of a comprehensive intelligence gathering program that has literally a “blueprint” of gang activity in Florida.
- Florida Gang Investigators Association – An association of law enforcement and criminal justice professionals who are dedicated to the prevention of gangs and suppression of gang-related activity within the state of Florida.
- IAACI Web – The International Association of Asian Crime Investigators, in association with the International Asian Organized Crime Conferences, provide focus on the criminal justice system’s response to organized crime in Asia.
- National Gang Crime Research Center – Provides research on gangs and gang members, disseminate information through publications and reports, and provide training and consulting services.