F.A.Q. – DUI IMPOUNDS
If you have been ordered to have your vehicle impounded or immobilized by the Sheriff’s Office, here are some answers to Frequently Asked Questions that will help you through the process.
You must wait at least 10 business days after your court hearing to contact the Sheriff’s Office at 727-582-6188, in order to make sure your impound paperwork has been received.
1. The vehicle, the registration and $50 cash, the exact amount, must be brought to the Sheriff’s impound office:
4400-140th Ave. North, Suite 200
Monday through Friday
Between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Anyone can bring the vehicle to our office for the impound . An impound sticker will be placed on the vehicle at our office and then driven back to your residence by the person who brought the car for impound. The vehicle will be kept either in the driveway or on the street in view at all times during the impound.
2. If the vehicle cannot be brought to our office due to no valid tags, no insurance or mechanical failure, then the registration and $50 cash (exact amount) should be brought to our office at the above address. A detective will respond to the location where the vehicle is actually parked in Pinellas County within 5 business days of your payment of the $50 impound fee.
3. If you live out of Pinellas County and do not have a location to park the vehicle in Pinellas County or you cannot come to our office to pay the $50 fee, then you need to contact the Pinellas County Clerk’s Office at 727-464-7000 – Ext. 3 for the list of private impound companies who will come to your location for the impound. See #7 for instructions on viewing the list of private impound companies online.
4. If you no longer have the vehicle to be impounded or wish to change the vehicle, then you will need to contact the Pinellas Clerk’s Office to set a hearing in order to make these changes.
5. Any licensed driver can bring the car to our office for the impound. The person who received the DUI does not have to be present.
6. If you own a vehicle and a person other than yourself received a DUI in your car, we will not come take your car to an impound yard if you choose not to have the impound sticker placed on your car. The person with the DUI might have their probation violated if the vehicle is not impounded.
7. If you wish to use a private impound company you can find the approved companies at pinellasclerk.org. Look for the area that states “Did you miss an announcement” and then click on “Archive”. You will be directed to a second page where you need to look for “Immobilization/DUI” then click on “Agencies” to view the list of private companies who are approved to do DUI impounds.
*Click here for a list of business providers in reference to Court-ordered vehicle immobilization services.*