Non-Emergency: 727.582.6200

Inmate Health Care FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. How to request DNA testing?
A. Contact Corrections where patient is located.

Q. How do I bring in or request medical records?
A. You must contact the Medical Records Department – (727) 464-6415 ext. 49151.

Q. How do I deliver personal items brought in from home?
A. Any requests for personal items to be delivered must be approved by the Medical Staff. Only items that are deemed to be medically necessary will be allowed. The patient must submit a form 82 requesting an evaluation to determine authorization approval.

Q. How do I initiate a Power of Attorney or other legal documents?
A. Contact the Social Workers in the pod where the patient is located.

Q. Who do inquiries go to regarding Patient Programs?
A. The Program Supervisor Ramona Merritt at (727) 453-7183.

Q. Who do I contact for legal inquiries?
A. The State Attorney’s office at (727) 464-6221 or the patients private attorney.

Q. Who handles patient property issues?
A. The Inmate Property department at (727) 464-6415 ext. 49427.

Q. Who handles complaints about abuse issues regarding the corrections section?
A. Contact the Administrative Sergeant, in the Corrections Section where the patient is housed - (727) 464-6415.

Q. How are issues regarding maintenance of the cell areas addressed (i.e. cleanliness, rodents, and hot water)?
A. Contact the Administrative Sergeant, in the Corrections Section where the patient is housed - (727) 464-6415.

Q. How are homeless patients assisted upon released?
A. Contact the specific social worker within the patient housing area (727) 464-6415.

Q. How do I get a message to a patient?
A. This would be handled by the Administrative Sergeant in the corrections section where the patient is housed (727) 464-6415.

Q. How do I get reading materials to patient?
A. Contact the mailroom at (727) 464-6415 ext. 49173.

Q. How do I inform a patient of a family member’s death?
A. Contact the jail Chaplain at (727) 464-6326.

Q. Who do I direct questions regarding disability and SSI?
A. Contact the specific social worker in the housing area where patient in located (727) 464-6415.

Q. Who do I contact regarding a patient’s medical issues?
A. Contact the Administrative Nursing Supervisor at (727) 464-6415, ext. 49149.

Q. How are medical furloughs arranged?
A. Contact the patients personal attorney.

Q. Who handles billing question from outside consultants?
A. Contact our billing/scheduling clerk at (727) 464-6415 ext. 49583.

OMC Drop-Boxes

Operation Medicine Cabinet

Drop off your expired or unused medications during business hours at Operation Medicine Cabinet drop boxes located at two Sheriff’s Office locations:

The Sheriff’s Administration Building
10750 Ulmerton Rd.

The Sheriff’s North District Office at
737 Louden Avenue

More Information

When To Call

In Florida, simply dialing 9-1-1 in an emergency connects you to EMS, law enforcement, and the fire rescue.

The 9-1-1 system is for emergencies only – serious vehicle crashes, critical medical situations, crimes in progress, or fire.

Do not call 9-1-1 for non emergency transportation.

If you are unsure if your situation is a true emergency, officials recommend that you let the call taker determine if you need emergency help.


10750 Ulmerton Road
Largo, FL 33778

Mailing address:
PO Drawer 2500
Largo, FL 33779-2500

Phone: (727) 582-6200
Emergency: 9 1 1


E-mail addresses are public record under Florida Law and are not exempt from public-records requirements. If you do not want your e-mail address to be subject to being released pursuant to a public-records request do not send electronic mail to this entity.

Instead, contact this office by telephone or in writing, via the United States Postal Service.