Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office
-Strategic Diversion Task Force
-Community Education and Services
What: The Drug Abuse Website (www.pinellasdrugabuse.com) provides resources to assist families dealing with addiction and provides awareness and education on the dangers of abusing illicit drugs, prescription medications and other dangerous substances.
Where: Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office
10750 Ulmerton Road
Largo, Florida 33778
When: The website was launched in October of 2012. Several updates and new features have been added since that time.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office developed the Drug Abuse Website www.pinellasdrugabuse.com, to provide resources to assist families dealing with addiction to illicit drugs, prescription medications and other dangerous substances.
This website will provide links to the following:
- 211 Get Connected. Get Answers.
- SAMHSA Treatment Locator*
- Florida Poison Information Center
- Eckerd Community Alternatives – Family Resources
- Prescription pill identifier and information
- Indicators of misuse and abuse of illicit and prescription drugs
- Signs of possible drug overdose and what to do to get help
- Safety information about how to safe guard and protect your medications
- The Pinellas County Operation Cabinet Program (OMC), a safe way to dispose of your medications and drop-off container locator in your community
- Links to: LiveFree! Substance Abuse Coalition of Pinellas, Operation PAR, NOPE Pinellas Chapter (Narcotics Overdose Prevention & Education), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Pinellas County Government Home Page, and the Florida Attorney General Home Page
- How to report criminal activity or drug crimes – Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office Submit a Drug Tip & Crime Stoppers of Pinellas County
- Resource material, publications and news on related issues
* SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) sponsors a website where you can find drug and alcohol abuse treatment programs and facilities.
The misuse and abuse of illicit drugs, prescription medications and dangerous substances has escalated beyond belief over the last decade, becoming the fastest growing epidemic in the United States. Most people, especially teenagers, are under the assumption that these dangerous substances are not harmful. The abuse of these substances is a public health hazard, contributes to addiction and has deadly consequences.
Effective this month, Sheriff’s Office personnel, specifically deputies and Child Protection Investigators (CPID), have been provided the Drug Abuse Website business cards made available to the public on any drug related call. The business cards contain the website information and QR (Quick Response Bar Code) that will allow the public to scan the QR with their Internet based phones for a direct link to the www.pinellasdrugabuse.com site. The business cards will also be made available to the public by request or by contacting the Public Information Office.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is committed to the safety and health of its citizens. This Drug Abuse Website is dedicated to assisting people with education about substance abuse and by providing resources for addiction. This initiative is a first of its kind by law enforcement to link a variety of resources on a user friendly website. Through a collaborative effort, we can make a difference in reducing this deadly problem.
This program is funded by the Substance Abuse Mental Services Administration, Drug Free Communities grant awarded to LiveFree! Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Pinellas County (LiveFree!) in partnership with the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.
Any questions about the Drug Abuse Website can be directed to Sgt. Dan Zsido of the Community Education and Services Unit at 582-6200.
Below is an image of the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office Drug Abuse Website business card.