The temperature isn’t the only thing going up this summer. Vehicle burglaries and break-ins also spike in the summer months. Here in Pinellas County, 67% of vehicle burglaries reported so far this year occurred due to unforced entry – meaning the doors were left unlocked or a window was left open.
In just 30 seconds, a criminal can pull up alongside your vehicle, roll their window down, smash your window, grab your purse or laptop and speed away – all without ever stepping out of their car!
- Never leave your windows down or car unlocked, especially if you’re just running in to pick up the dry cleaning, sign your child out from daycare, etc.
- Never leave your valuables unattended or in plain view.
- Close your garage even when you’re home. While you are inside getting a glass of water, you are presenting an easy target for thieves.
- Keep your garage door opener with you and black out your home address from your car registration. This prevents a thief who burglarizes your car from easily finding and getting into your home as well.
- Keep lists of your valuables including detailed descriptions, photos, model and serial numbers. If your property is stolen, this list will aide law enforcement in their recovery efforts.
If you are the victim of a burglary, please call (727) 582-6200 to be connected to a Patrol Deputy who can respond and take your report.